Protect your VW / Audi 1.8T 20V engine from engine failure by strengthening your timing system with an IE ARP Cam Gear Bolt.
WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE FACTORY BOLT?
When building the 1.8T 20V engine for high horsepower output, you will quickly find that the factory timing system is full of weak points that often lead to complete engine failures. These failures are often caused by simple under-spec designed timing components or bolts. The cam gear keyway commonly breaks and spins the entire gear on the camshaft, this is a complete loss of timing causing instant and major engine damage. This failure is not a weak point of the cam gear as the keyway is only there to ensure proper alignment and not to keep the gear from spinning. The failure is from the under-spec cam gear bolt. The factory bolts are one-time use and have very weak threads and a low clamping force making it very easy to loosen up under higher torque load allowing the cam gear to spin.
PROTECT YOUR ENGINE FROM CAM GEAR FAILURE!
To save your engine from this fate, we have teamed up with ARP to design and manufacture reliable and strong replacement bolts for your timing system. This cam gear bolt has been re-engineered as a direct replacement for the factory bolt with a massive increase in clamping force and roll-formed threads to provide a reliable and strong install of your cam gear. Manufactured from aerospace grade alloy this bolt is 100% reusable and a huge upgrade over the mass-produced and fault-prone factory bolt perfect for any power goal.
- Increases clamping force on cam pulley by 10%
- 100% reusable
- Made in U.S.A to tight tolerances
- Extremely consistent clamping load
- Threads rolled after heat treating
- Fits all 1.8T 20V (06A) engines
HOW TO INSTALL:
Installation of the new IE Spec ARP Cam Gear Bolt is straightforward and similar to OE. Follow the steps below for a reliable and simple install.
- Before installing your new IE Spec ARP Cam Gear Bolt, ensure the camshaft threads are clean and free of dirt, oil, debris, and rust.
- Install the washer under the bolt head and thread through the cam gear into the camshaft by hand. Thread all the way to fulls top finger tight only verifying you are not cross-threading and that the threads are clean.
- Using a 5/8" 6 point socket and a verified quality torque wrench, torque the bolt to 55ftlbs with red Loctite. Do not exceed this torque spec, if the bolt is over torqued it may stretch and will not be reusable or reliable. If you exceed torque spec, replace the bolt with a new one before operating the engine.
- Continue assembling and timing your engine via OE specifications.
Note for uninstall: Uninstalling the bolt for any reason may require heat to break the Loctite bond, do not exceed 400 degrees Fahrenheit when heating bolt for removal without replacing the bolt.
1.8T 20V 06A ENGINE
- Audi - A4 1996-2001 (B5 - B5.5) 1.8T 20V engines (late 06A only)*
- Audi - A4 2002-2005 (B6) 1.8T 20V engines
- Audi - A6 1998-2004 (C5) 1.8T 20V engines
- Audi - A6 Allroad 1998-2004 (C5) 1.8T 20V engines
- Audi - TT 2000-2006 (MK1 - 8N) 1.8T 20V engines
- Audi - A3 1996-2003 (MK1 - 8L) 1.8T 20V engines
- Audi - S3 1996-2003 (MK1 - 8L) 1.8T 20V engines
- VW - Golf 1999-2005 (MK4) 1.8T 20V engines
- VW - GTI 1999-2005 (MK4) 1.8T 20V engines
- VW - Jetta & Jetta GLI 1999-2005 (MK4) 1.8T 20V engines
- VW - Passat 1998-2005 (B5 - B5.5) 1.8T 20V engines (late 06A only)*
- VW - Beetle 1998-2011 (1C - 9C - 1Y) 1.8T 20V engines
⚠️CALIFORNIA WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov